At first glance, it might seem that being a Hollywood actress would make living a life of spirituality, consciousness and body acceptance quite challenging… but then Torrey DeVitto has always been up for a challenge.
In an industry not known for fostering self worth or healthy body image, actress and activist Torrey is rewriting the playbook for how to achieve Hollywood success while also practising fierce self love, radical self acceptance, and devoting herself to helping others.
In this eye-opening conversation, she’s taking us beyond the glitz, glamour and red carpets to reveal how she’s created a life on her own terms — and learned to love every part of herself — while ROCKING it in one of the world’s most cutthroat industries.
Actress, advocate and philanthropist Torrey DeVitto is best known for playing Meredith Fell in “Vampire Diaries”, as well as her popular recurring role as Melissa on ABC Family’s hit show, “Pretty Little Liars.” She recently wrapped her incredible six season run on the NBC drama, “Chicago Med” playing Natalie Manning, a doctor in the ER Paediatrics division. She also stars in the upcoming Hallmark film, “The Christmas Promise” opposite Patrick Duffy and Dylan Bruce, as well as the film “Skelly,” opposite Brian Cox and John Palladino.
Outside of her acting work, Torrey’s mission is to grant access and bring knowledge of wellness, spirituality, and philanthropy to as many people as possible. As an advocate for women’s safety, health and rights, she is working on the board of directors with SafeBae, is a spokesperson and ambassador for the NHPCO, on the leadership council for RAINN, and works with young women in juvenile detention centres. Torrey is also an advocate for animals and regularly supports organisations such as PETA, The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), and PAWS adoption in Chicago.
This conversation defies definition and expectations — much like Torrey herself. As you listen, prepare for lightbulb moments of insight, eye-opening confessions about what life is REALLY like as a TV starlet, as well as ALL the feels (especially when we delve into her activism and philanthropy work).
So if you want to hear how a Hollywood actress nourishes and centres herself while following a hectic filming schedule, what it’s like to have your body and weight change while starring on a world famous TV show, how Torrey incorporates spiritual practices like tarot and reiki into her daily life, and the mindset shifts that have helped her find true self acceptance against all odds, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Torrey’s incredible journey to master her inner critic and stop comparing herself to others while working as an actress (03:09)
- Dealing with the unexpected challenges of fame (including what it’s really like to gain weight while in the public eye, and the inner work she’s done to find true self acceptance) (11:12)
- Why it’s so crucial to connect with something bigger than yourself and how it can help you live a more fulfilling, meaningful life (16:16)
- The surprising mindset shift that transformed Torrey’s approach to her career and business (and saw her achieve more success than ever before) (25:48)
- Her genius steps for living a more joyful and sustainable life, even when things aren’t going as desired (31:01)
- How Torrey is empowering children and adolescents to prevent and avoid sexual assault through the pioneering organisation, SafeBAE (39:45)
- Why it’s nobody’s job to make you happy but your own (and how this epiphany changed Torrey’s life forever) (44:27)
- Comparisonitis (book)
- Mastering Your Mean Girl (book)
- Torrey De Vito (Instagram)
- Audrie & Daisy (website)
- Safe Bae (Instagram)
- Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus With John Gray (podcast)
- Mars And Venus In The Bedroom & How To Have Great Sex | John Gray (podcast)
- A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson (book)
- Course in Miracles by Helen Schucman (book)
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay (book)
- Power Thoughts: 365 Daily Affirmations by Louise Hay (book)
- The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday (book)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email [email protected] for more information.