An orgasm during childbirth? Pffft. Yeah, right. Like most people, I rolled my eyes when I first heard about the concept of ‘ecstatic birth’. I mean, childbirth is meant to be a traumatic and painful experience, right? That’s certainly the message I got growing up, and from every Hollywood movie with a birthing scene! But today’s podcast guest, family physician Dr Sarah Buckley, has not only experienced an ecstatic birth first hand, she has done the research and has scientific proof of the hormonal physiology of labour and birth that can result in a pleasurable and ecstatic labour. Um, sign me up please.
Trained in GP obstetrics, Dr Buckley has been writing and lecturing to childbirth professionals and parents since 1997, and is the author of the international best-seller Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering. Sarah is also the mother of four children, all naturally born and naturally raised, now in their teen years and beyond.
Sarah’s work supports parents and professionals to be well informed, and to listen to their hearts and instincts. She acknowledges parents as the real experts in their bodies, babies, and families (hallelujah!) and what she has to offer will radically change the way you look at childbirth forever.
Whether you’re a mama, a mama-to-be, a maybe-one-day, or even a hard no, today’s episode is SUCH important listening for women everywhere. (Basically, everyone with ovaries needs to hear this wisdom!) So if you want to understand the true power of your womanly body, and rewrite what’s possible when it comes to birth, this episode is for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Sarah’s journey and how she became a natural birth doctor (05:24)
- How you can experience a natural ecstatic childbirth (08:53)
- Why giving birth is hardwired in all women (14:49)
- How we can rectify the hormonal gaps when we have interventions or c-sections (16:59)
- Why skin to skin contact is vital for as long as possible (19:27)
- What a baby breast crawl is (25:56)
- How important it is to trust your body — especially during pregnancy, birth and postpartum (32:22)
- Why no two births are ever the same (38:01)
- Why it’s important to be the most prepared you can be, and how hiring a midwife can be one of the most supportive things you can do (45:14)
- What is a lotus birth? (51:20)
- Plus so much more.
Gentle Natural Birth
Ecstatic Birth by Sarah Buckley
Daniel Vitalis on The Melissa Ambrosini Show
Zero Separation by Dr. Nils Bergman
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Baba Yaga by Sibelan Forrester
Hormonal Physiology report
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I am very honored that you are here and would love to hear your thoughts on the show, so please leave me a comment below (I read every single one). And if you loved this episode, please share it with someone you know will benefit, and on your social channels. You can also leave a 5-star review in iTunes, that way we can inspire more people together.
P.S. You should always consult a health practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you looking for an effective avenue for marketing your business or product and are interested in being a main sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show, please email email@example.com for more details.