Can babies and toddlers get all the nutrients they need on a predominantly plant based diet?
And what about pregnant or breastfeeding mamas — do they need animal products, or can plants support their bodies (and nourish their babies) to be healthy, happy and strong?
Today’s podcast guests, Alexandra Caspero and Whitney English — registered dieticians, and founders of Plant-Based Juniors — say that the answer to both these questions is a resounding YES, and the science is on their side. They’re on the show today to share the evidence behind plant based living for babies, kids, and pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, and to equip us with proven strategies to help the whole family thrive by eating a diet that’s great for them AND great for the planet.
Alexandra Caspero MA, RDN and Whitney English MS, RDN are both mamas, registered dietitian nutritionists, and the co-founders of Plant-Based Juniors — an online community for parents and educators interested in properly implementing plant based diets for children. They are dedicated to filling the gap in credible pediatric nutrition information for plant based infants and children, in a way that’s simple, achievable and do-able — even for mamas with arms and schedules that are very, very full!
I’ve been following a plant based diet during my pregnancy, and Nick and I will be feeding our little star-seed a diet centred on plants, so I was thrilled to be able to pick the brains of these two incredible women and get all their pro tips and insider info. I particularly love how accessible they make this lifestyle for everyone, with their “predominantly plant based” approach. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, or simply want to get more greens into your kids, you’ll find genius tips and strategies in this conversation that have the power to transform the health of your entire family — and the planet too.
So if you want expert advice on how to give your little ones the best possible start in life by changing what’s on their (and your) plates, how to navigate those tricky “picking eating” phases that can strike kids of all ages, and how to ensure that your whole family is getting the essential nutrients they need to thrive, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Why Whitney and Alexandra both started eating a plant based diet, why they stayed vegan during their pregnancies, and the incredible story of how they started Plant-Based Juniors (4:57)
- The secrets they wish EVERYONE knew about having a healthy plant based pregnancy (and the common mistake that can prevent you and your bub from thriving) (7:50)
- The one nutrient you should never leave off your plate (regardless of your diet choices!) (13:21)
- The four crucial nutrients to focus on during your pregnancy and where to find them (15:49)
- What’s the best way to get protein if you’re eating plant based? (16:45)
- The vital dietary changes to consider during breastfeeding, so that your baby can thrive and you don’t get depleted (22:24)
- The pivotal nutrient that ALL mamas require during pregnancy and breast-feeding (yet that so many aren’t eating!) (23:51)
- Why we need to end the shame around formula feeding (Plus: what you need to know about plant based alternatives to breast milk) (28:30)
- How to meet all of your and your children’s nutritional needs through a rich and nourishing plant based diet (37:41)
- Evidence-based strategies to reinforce healthy eating habits in our kids and navigate through their “picky eating” phases (44:36)
- The problem with not letting your kids eat junk food, and how to help them develop a “food neutral” mindset (55:29)
- Plant-Based Juniors (website)
- Follow Plant-Based Juniors on Instagram (link)
- FREE Plant-Based Juniors’ Supplement Guide (website)
- Plant-Based Juniors’ Predominantly Plant-Based Pregnancy Guide (book)
- The PB3 Plate (website)
- The Batch Cook Ebook (ebook)
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Todd Ross (book)
- How to Eat by Mark Bittman and David Katz (book)
- Plant Based Nutrition During Pregnancy, Infancy and Breast-feeding with Whitney English, RD (podcast)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
This episode is brought to you by DesignCrowd. The website with hundreds of thousands of designers ready to help create your perfect custom design. Crowdsource custom logo, business card, and web design from over 900,000 epic designers from around the world. Visit designcrowd.com/melissa to get up to $150 off your first project today.