Did you know that we can literally change the wiring and architecture of our brains? And that we can do it intentionally, to create more presence and empathy in our lives? And that it’s never too late to grow new brain connections — even if you’re a hundred years old?!
Today’s podcast guest, Dr Daniel Siegal — a world-leading voice in neuroscience, psychiatry and parenting — is here to explain how to take control of your brain health so that you can experience more wellbeing, overcome childhood trauma, and transform your life, relationships and parenting from the inside out. It’s a mindblowing episode (pun intended!), and if you have any interest at all in living up to your full potential and creating a meaningful life, it’s one that you absolutely won’t want to miss.
Dr Daniel Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. He served as a National Institute of Mental Health Research Fellow at UCLA, is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine, the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA, an award-winning educator, and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He is also the author of a slew of bestselling books, including MindSight, Parenting From The Inside Out, Aware, No-Drama Discipline, and (my personal favourite) The Whole-Brain Child.
So if you want to discover the practical steps to reshape the structure of your brain, radically improve your emotional intelligence and resilience, and transform your wellbeing, relationships and parenting, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- The incredible story of how he became a world-leading voice in the neuroscience of integration, communication and parenting (4:41)
- What is the difference between the brain and the mind? And why is this difference so crucial for our happiness and development? (7:43)
- Why cultivating an integrated brain is so essential for our health, relationships and wellbeing (9:07)
- How integrated is your brain? Here’s a cool way to find out. (15:48)
- Epic tools and tips (backed by science) to encourage Crystal Clear Communication with the most important people in your life. (I love these techniques so much!) (18:12)
- The different types of attachment and how they influence every aspect of our lives right through to adulthood (plus: what to do if you’ve got attachment issues) (31:56)
- How to transform your childhood trauma into the ultimate tool for better relationships and parenting (39:45)
- The dangers of shame and how it can build throughout our lives if we avoid doing the inner work (47:05)
- How to apply the ‘Upstairs and Downstairs’ brain theory to radically improve your connection with your children (53:48)
- Dr. Dan Siegel (website)
- MWe Community (website)
- The Whole Brain Child by Dr Daniel Siegel (Amazon)
- Parenting from the Inside Out by Dr Daniel Siegel (Amazon)
- Brainstorm by Dr Daniel Siegel (Amazon)
- The Power of Showing Up by Dr Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson (Amazon)
- Age of Opportunity by Laurence Steingberg (Amazon)
- Wildhood by Barbara Natterson-Horowitz (Amazon)
- Wheel of Awareness (website)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.