When it comes to weight loss, the story we’ve been sold is that “carbs are the enemy”. But is that actually true? What does the science say? And what if our collective fear of carbs is actually sabotaging our efforts to achieve optimum health?
To help answer these questions and discuss the latest research, we have Simon Hill on the show. Simon is the founder of the hugely popular Plant Proof Podcast, the author of the book Plant Proof, as well as a nutritionist and qualified physiotherapist. On top of his formal education, Simon spends hours and hours deciphering scientific studies so he can break down the science-backed secrets of health and longevity in a way that makes it easy for all of us to understand and take action. He is the plant-based food contributor for Chris Hemsworth’s fitness app, Centr, and in 2019 Simon opened a plant-based restaurant, Eden, in his Sydney neighbourhood of Bondi.
This is Simon’s second appearance on the show, and let me tell you: just like last time, he brings the goods for this epic conversation. With research studies that will blow your mind, cool tips that will have you scrambling for a pen and paper, and SO MANY practical strategies that you’ll want to incorporate into your routine, this episode is an absolute game changer when it comes to what’s on your plate, how to achieve peak health, and how to get your body into the best shape of your life.
So if you want to discover the truth about the effect of carbohydrates on your health and digestion, how eating for your body type can help you crack the weight loss code, and the exact foods that I put on my plate everyday to fuel my body, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Why it’s not just *what* you eat, but how and when you eat that matters. (Here’s what you need to know about timing and pace.) (04:57)
- The real story behind why Nick went plant based — and why he’s never looked back since (09:38)
- Why does weight loss seem so confusing? And why do so many people struggle with food addiction? (13:50)
- Our irrational fear of carbohydrates and Simon’s genius reframe that will completely change the way you think about them (24:17)
- How eating for your body type can help you achieve effortless weight loss (34:15)
- Want to dramatically increase your longevity? Try these two things immediately (47:00)
- What Nick and I eat in a day and the key questions to ask yourself if you are trying to lose weight (52:36)
- Are you afraid of soy? Debunking the myths around soy with evidence-based science (1:04.11)
- Everyone focuses on *this* when it comes to weight loss, but the true story is far more nuanced (1:12:32)
- Rapid-fire listener questions for Simon — the importance of food quality, the best exercises for weight loss, why you don’t need to be scared of fat, and the truth about weighing yourself (1:23:10)
- Why it’s time to declutter your colon (and how a simple clear out can radically improve your energy levels) (1:37:19)
- Simon’s 8 plant proof principles for outrageously good health from the inside out (1:38:54)
- How To Become ‘Plant Proof’ & Transform Your Health | Simon Hill (podcast)
- Plant Proof (website)
- The Proof is in the Plants by Simon Hill (amazon)
- Burn by Herman Pontzer (amazon)
- Kevin Hall Studies (study) and (study)
- Protein source and health studies (study) and (study)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email [email protected] for more information.