“If you’re an athlete, you simply can’t get all the protein and nutrients you need from plants alone — you need meat.” That’s the conventional dietary wisdom we’ve all been told… but is it actually true?
Today’s guests, Matt Frazier and Robert Cheeke, say no. And the latest science and research backs them up. These two vegan athletes join us on the show today to dismantle the common myths about sports nutrition, discuss the best ways to power your workouts with plants, and to chat about their brand new book, The Plant Based Athlete.
Matt Frazier is the founder and CEO of No Meat Athlete and author of The No Meat Athlete Cookbook. He is a marathoner and ultrarunner, and qualified for the Boston Marathon with the help of a plant-based diet.
Robert Cheeke is the founder of Vegan Bodybuilding and is a two-time natural bodybuilding champion. He is the author of Shred It!, is a public speaker, and has followed a plant-based diet for more than twenty-five years.
Joining forces to write their book (which became an instant New York Times bestseller), these two are a formidable duo. Whatever your fitness goals — whether it’s to compete in your first tri, smash your PB, or just feel stronger and fitter on your daily walks or on the yoga mat — you’re going to find so many ‘aha’ moments in the wisdom and strategies they share.
So if you want to learn why your body prefers plant based sources of protein to meat, discover how to improve your athletic capabilities, and hear the insider secrets of getting ‘quick gains’ and recovering fast, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you
In this episode we chat about:
- Understanding the golden rule of meal combining: the simpler the meal, the better you feel (00:19)
- Robert’s incredible journey of going vegan and becoming a champion bodybuilder (5:09)
- How training for the Boston Marathon inspired Matt to become the ‘No Meat Athlete’ (13:39)
- Matt and Robert’s bestselling book ‘The Plant-Based Athlete’ and how it’s changing people’s lives across the globe — from pro athletes to ‘weekend warriors’ (20:50)
- How to recover from your workouts insanely fast (and why good recovery is key for quick progress) (30:51)
- Why you should think of yourself like a professional athlete (including two inspiring stories that will blow your mind) (35:10)
- Why pressuring your loved ones to eat healthier never works (and what to do instead) (49:17)
- Dismantling the common myths around plant-based protein with *actual* science (1:03:42)
- Should you be supplementing with B12 or calcium? (Finally! A clear answer to this tricky question!) (1:14:37)
- What you should put on your plate if you care about the longevity of our planet (1:26:20)
- The Plant-Based Athlete by Matt Frazier & Robert Cheeke (amazon)
- The No Meat Athlete (website)
- Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness (website)
- Is High Carb or Low Carb Better For Weight Loss? | Simon Hill (podcast)
- The Proof is in the Plants by Simon Hill (amazon)
- No Meat Athlete by Matt Frazier (amazon)
- No Meat Athlete Cookbook by Matt Frazier (amazon)
- Love Complement (website)
- Scott Jurek (website)
- Pedaling Heroine | Orla Walsh (Instagram)
- Vegan Olympian | Dotsie Bausch (Instagram)
- Josh LaJaunie (website)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie (amazon)
- Awaken The Giant Within by Anthony Robbins (amazon)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email [email protected] for more information.