What if I told you that there are specific habits and rituals you can follow that WILL make you happier? It might sound farfetched but it’s 100% true, as you’ll find out in this conversation with today’s podcast guest, Gretchen Rubin — a lawyer-turned-writer who has dedicated her life to researching happiness and giving us tools to make life better.
Gretchen is one of the most thought-provoking and influential writers on the planet on the topics of habits and happiness. She is the author of several books, including the blockbuster New York Times bestsellers Better Than Before, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home. She has an enormous readership, both in print and online, and her books have sold almost three million copies worldwide, in more than thirty languages. On her popular weekly podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin, she discusses good habits and happiness. She provides surprising insights and practical advice drawn from cutting-edge research, ancient wisdom, and her own observations, about how we can make our lives better than before. Fast Company named Gretchen on its list of Most Creative People in Business, and she’s a member of Oprah’s SuperSoul 100. She’s been interviewed by Oprah, and walked arm-in-arm with the Dalai Lama… So it’s safe to say, this lady knows her thing!
If you want to experience even more happiness in your life (and if you’re as fascinated by the power of habits as I am), then this episode is for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- How she became an expert on happiness (03:32)
- Gretchen’s 21 strategies to dial up your happiness levels (07:17)
- The difference between habits and rituals (08:58)
- Why you need to understand the roles of treats vs rewards (and how you can use each to help you get stuff done!) (12:49)
- The essential 7 happiness habits (20:35)
- The 4 tendencies, and why it’s such a struggle to form new habits, even when you really want to (this is super interesting!) (23:47)
- How making your bed can make you happier (yep, you heard me correctly!) (34:20)
- The 2 questions to ask yourself to uncover what makes you truly happy (37:39)
- What to do when you ‘fail’ (and why, if you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough) (40:45)
- Why it's important to be nice to everyone (43:36)
- Plus so much more!
Books by Gretchen Rubin
Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin (featuring 21 strategies for making new habits)
Happier Podcast with Gretchen Rubin
The Four Tendencies Quiz
Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E Frankl
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be so grateful if you could take 2 minutes to leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, that way we can inspire even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email email@example.com for more information.