Did you know that your skin is your body’s largest organ? Yep, a grown adult has around 2 square meters of skin*. Even more importantly, did you know that whatever you use topically on your skin gets absorbed straight into your bloodstream? Sounds scary, but it’s true — your skin basically ‘eats’ whatever you put on it. In fact, the average woman absorbs nearly 2.5 kilos of damaging chemicals** per year due to beauty products. Holy yikes!
All those toxic (and not to mention seriously expensive) chemicals are going straight through your skin and into your body, where your poor little liver has to go into serious overdrive to try to remove them. This uses up ‘beauty energy’, as nutritionist Kimberly Snyder calls it. Our body could be using that energy to make our hair and skin shiny, our eyes bright and our nails strong, but because the liver has to work extra hard just to detox the chemical nasties, it doesn’t have time to do those other things. Cue dull skin, limp hair, flaky nails and tired, gray eyes… not exactly the picture of perfect health, right?!
So let me ask you this: Would you spray your deodorant into your mouth? Or spread your mascara on your gluten free toast? Hell no, sister! So why are you slathering them on your body?! There is no better time than right now to take a look at the products you use on your skin. Every time you go to slather something on that beautiful temple of yours, ask yourself: is this good for me and my health? If it is, go right ahead. If not, bin it baby!
About 6 years ago, I took a massive black garbage bag into my bathroom and got rid of everything. And I mean everything. I was the type of person that had 15 different glittery moisturizers, 7 different smelling deodorants, and 5 different shades of foundations — all highly toxic and not good for me. At the time, I loved slathering myself in all those different smelling lotions and potions, but when I learned about the dangers of toxic products, I realized the risk wasn’t worth it and decided to start from scratch and only put healthy products on my body.
But if you’ve ever tried to decipher which products are actually good for you, and which ones aren’t worth the plastic they’re packaged in, you’ll know that it can be ridiculously confusing to work out.
Sneaky marketing tactics (which are perfectly legal and accepted within the cosmetics industry) would have us believe that if a product has labels like ‘natural ingredients’ or ‘made from pure aloe’ plastered on it, it must be ok for our precious bodies. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and many manufacturers use those terms when their products are decidedly unnatural and unhealthy.
So what’s the answer? Basically, unless you have read and understood every ingredient on an ingredients list and know exactly what is in the product… don’t buy it. With so many chemicals and ingredients on the market, it can be super confusing, but let me give you a little hint; if you can’t pronounce it and or don’t know what it is, it’s generally not a natural ingredient. Meaning: steer clear!
If you get stuck, try consulting the Environmental Working Group’s website. They’re a fab organization dedicated to helping you navigate through the web of beauty and body products, so if in doubt jump on their awesome site.
Vote with your dollar. Say NO to toxic products and get back to natural, organic products.
You can also visit amazing online hubs like Nourished Life, who have done all the hard work for you. They have researched the best (and safest) products out there so that you can make the best decision for yourself and your family.
I am so passionate about living a toxic-free life and treading as lightly as I possibly can on this beautiful earth of ours, which is why I wanted to interview one of my gorgeous soul sisters, Emmily Banks. Emmily is an organic makeup artist with over 8 years of professional experience. She is a wealth of knowledge in the area of natural beauty, a complete angel, and someone I love dearly. I can’t wait to share this interview with you!
In this Make-Up Masterclass with Emmily Banks, founder of Depths Of Beauty, you will learn…
- Why using toxic free products is so important for you and your health.+ The most common toxic chemical you need to look out for and avoid. (This tip alone will help you revolutionise your beauty routine.)
- The most common toxic chemical you need to look out for and avoid. (This tip alone will help you revolutionize your beauty routine.)
- How long your natural beauty products last for. (Hint: It’s different to other products.)
- The three main reasons why it’s important to use natural beauty products.
- How you can make a difference — to the planet and to your health.
- How to transition to a toxic free beauty routine and figure out what’s right for you.
- Why natural beauty makes you feel like a goddess, and how you can make it a sacred part of your self-care rituals.
- Emmily’s favorite natural products to look out for. (Get on these, people!)
- All Emmily’s pro makeup tricks and tips. (For a total novice this is priceless.)
- Why you shouldn’t share your make-up products and brushes.
- How often you need to wash your make-up brushes, and the best ones to use.
- How to make your own cheap and toxic free antibacterial make-up brush spray.
- You’ll also see her perform a live make-up demo on me, plus loads more.
What a goddess, right?! I knew you’d love her! As promised, here are the products Emmily used on me:
- Mukti Antioxidant Facial Oil (website)
- Inika Liquid Mineral Foundation (website)
- RMS Un Cover Up as concealer (website)
- Ere Perez Bronzer in “Bronze Tones” (product link)
- Ere Perez Highlighter in “Sun Halo” (product link)
- Ere Perez Aloe Vera Lash and Brow Gel (product link)
- W3ll People Universalist Multistick No. 8 (product link)
- Hurraw lip balm (website)
Now I want to hear from you, beautiful. What are your favorite toxic free beauty products? Share them in the comments below. I can’t wait to check out your suggestions. (Who doesn’t love a good beauty recommendation, right?!)
As always, thank you so much for being here. It’s so awesome that you want to be the best version of yourself and live your best life. I honor you.
P.S. Emmily wants to help YOU switch to natural and organic beauty asap, so she is offering the below just for the MA Tribe.
Download her FREE guide to the top 8 natural and organic foundations on the market by signing up to her newsletter here.
Do this and you will also get a 10% discount and a FREE gift with any purchase at Emmily’s favorite online natural beauty store.
You will also get 20% off Emmily’s next natural beauty workshops in Sydney (and soon to be interstate).