Lately I have been experimenting with upping the ante on my self-care and turning up the volume on my self-love. Because to be frank, I’ve needed it. And let it be said: it feels freakin’ awesome! My soul is singing, my cells are dancing, and my heart is full.
You can be nourishing your body with all the organic food in the world, moving your body in a loving way and meditating your buns off, but if you’re not feeding and nourishing your soul, life’s going to feel like a hard slog — and I’m speaking from experience here!
I am a very driven, ‘type A’ kinda gal, and filling myself up is not something that comes naturally to me. Growing up, I witnessed my mum, nonna and all the women around me put everyone else first, leaving their own needs and desires to last. So I’ve had to consciously work on making self-love a part of my life, every single day. I have to schedule it in my calendar, otherwise — despite all my good intentions — it just won’t get done. There is always something ‘more important’ that will take priority. But neglecting this oh-so-important practice is what causes burnout, anxiety, depression, panic attacks and more. And for me, it was what led me down the very slippery path to unhappy land, and resulted in me landing face-first at rock bottom.
Not only will you feel better within yourself, but you’ll be the best version of you. You’ll feel wildly wealthy, fabulously healthy and bursting with love. And you can then show up to the world as the best daughter, boss, work colleague, mama, sister, friend, wife, or partner you can be… And who doesn’t want to show up as the best version of themselves!?
Don’t wait until you hit rock bottom to top yourself up. Do it daily with love and attention.
So how do I fuel my soul? Like this…
Daily Soul Fuel:
- Yoga. 15 minutes in my lounge room is all I need. Heart full, soul buzzing.
- Meditation. Twice a day is what works for me.
- Sun on my skin. Recharges my batteries and makes my cells swirl.
- Time in nature. Sometimes it’s a 20 minute walk, or just laying starfish on the grass for an hour. Whatever I can fit in.
- Carpet chats with my husband. During and after dinner, my husband and I sit around our coffee table and connect. No phone, TV, or computers; nothing but us!
- Organic food and clean water. This is a given, but it’s worth emphasizing that it’s not just for your body, it’s for your soul too: if you want to shower yourself with love, then filling your temple with processed junk food ain’t gonna cut it.
- Reading in a nourishing bath. My nourishing baths consist of coconut oil, lavender oil and epsom salts. I’ve been experimenting with reading in the bath and also doing nothing (that means not taking my phone with me or listening to a podcast or music, just simply doing nothing but breathing). It’s challenging but my cells freakin’ LOVE it! And I am all about doing more of what makes me feel good and less of what doesn’t.
Weekly Soul Fuel:
- Hikes in nature. Every Sunday, my boys and I pack a picnic and head out into nature — it’s bliss! There’s something so powerful about being with Mama Nature. It seems to reset my brain and light up my heart like nothing else.
- Time with my soul sisters. Sometimes I get to sit in the sun and sip organic herbal tea with my sisters. Other times it’s a soulful chat over the phone. Either way, the simple act of stopping, being completely present, and sharing that time with them is like a giant green smoothie for my spirit.
- The Goddess Group. Meeting, connecting and sharing the space with my Goddess Group every Tuesday night absolutely fills me up. (Talk about upgraded soul medicine!)
- Date night with my husband. Most Saturday nights we curl up on the couch with a great movie or doco, some healthy chocolate brownies, and a pot of organic herbal tea. This ritual make my cells dance. Other times we get all dressed up (which is especially nice when you spend most of your week in yoga pants!) and head out for dinner. Whenever we go out to dinner, we leave our phones at home and pretend it’s our first day. It’s so much fun — try it!
- Movement. One of the biggest reasons why I love Barre Body so much is not only because it’s a super-fun mixture of Pilates, yoga and dance, but because I am so present whilst I am there. Plus, I used to be a professional dancer, so for me movement is key to my wellbeing.
- Ocean swims. Diving into the ocean is like a giant kiss for my soul.
- Playing with my little man. It doesn’t matter what we’re doing, as long as it involves play and has nothing to do with being a ‘grown up’!
- Rebounding. There’s something so childlike about jumping on a trampoline; it really feeds my soul. Give it a go!
Monthly Soul Fuel:
- Coconut oil massage. I looooovvve touch, but it has to be from the right person. I honestly don’t understand those people who hate being touched and hate massages – I can’t compute it! I love it so much that I book in once a month for an hour of relaxing bliss – usually with Joanna from Still Beauty. It’s really important you find someone who has the right energy (and that goes for all the therapists and people you let work on you – whether it’s energy healers, kinesiologists, reiki practitioners, whatever). Also, whenever I get a massage, I take my own organic coconut oil. Some places use toxic crap that you do not want on your skin. Remember, your skin is your largest organ and whatever you use topically gets absorbed straight into your bloodstream. So if you wouldn’t eat what they are using on your skin, don’t let them use it. Don’t be afraid to take your own and politely ask if they can use that instead.
- Getting out of the city. We get out of the city and head into the hinterland at least once a month to spend some time grounding ourselves, being in nature, and changing things up… Aaaah, the joys of having your own online business – you can work from anywhere!
- Time with my divine parents and dream in-laws. Once a month we have a soul-full dinner with my parents and in-laws. We’ll cook up a big organic feast for them and sit around the table laughing and sharing stories. I love those moments so much!
So that’s how I ensure my soul stays full to the brim and bursting with love. Now it’s your turn…
Want to ‘Reboot Your Soul’? Try my 7-Day Experiment
- 15 minutes of yoga.
- 10 minutes of meditation.
- 10 minutes in the sun.
- 1 hour in nature, without technology.
- 1 hour of full body movement.
- Hike in nature.
- Coconut oil massage.
Sound good, beautiful? Now grab your calendar and schedule your soul fuel in. If you truly want to make your cells dance then you’ve got to make the time!
Now I would love to hear from you – what is your 7-Day ‘Reboot Your Soul’ menu going to look like? Share with me in the comments below. Remember, your comment could be the one thing someone else needs to read to inspire them into action, so share away!
Thank you, as always, for leaving such epic comments and for being here. I love having you as part of my tribe and honor you for showing up for YOU! You inspire me every single day.