Before I was even pregnant, I had preconceived ideas about the kind of mother I’d be, and what I would and would not do as a parent. (I think many of us do!)
Today, in this solo episode, I want to unpack those expectations I’d placed on myself — and how it is that I came to do some of the EXACT things I swore I’d never do.
I think it’s so empowering to talk about this kind of stuff — about letting ourselves evolve, adapt and change our minds; about acknowledging that sometimes, despite our best intentions, a certain choice hasn’t worked out the way we thought; and about doing what’s best for our children and ourselves, even if that ‘best’ is not what we originally envisioned.
So press play to hear my very intimate, very vulnerable, personal account of 8 things that I thought I’d NEVER do since becoming a mama… but which actually turned out to be exactly what my baby, my family, and I needed. From having our daughter on a set routine to packing away our Montessori floor bed (for now!), to sleeping in a separate bedroom from Nick, this is our family’s story. Enjoy.
In this episode we chat about:
- The expert who made my breastfeeding journey SO much easier (and why I never thought I’d need help in this area) (02:21)
- How lack of sleep led to us reevaluating our initial approach (and calling in more support) (05:22)
- How I got my eight hours of deep sleep back, in a way I never would have anticipated (10:49)
- Why we put away our beloved Montessori floor bed (for now!) and what we opted for instead (17:42)
- Why I resisted the idea of putting Baby Girl on a routine… and how it was actually amazing for all of us (20:50)
- The truth about sleeping in a separate room from your partner (and how Nick and I rock it!) (23:43)
- Our support team (28:36)
- How night weaning helped me heal and get the best nights sleep ever (30:57)
- My thoughts on mothering and giving yourself permission to change your mind (34:42)
- Mattress | The Natural Bedding Company (shop)
- Dr. Golly™ Baby Sleep Program (web)
- The Life-Changing Secrets Of Baby Sleep Whisperer | Dr. Golly (podcast)
- SAMINA Organic Sleep System & Bedding (web)
- Silverette ® Nursing Cups (shop)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.