Sometimes we inherit these beliefs from our own mothers, sometimes they’re fed to us from society, and sometimes they get embedded in our brains without us even knowing. Today’s podcast guest, Bethany Webster, says this way of thinking stems from the ‘Mother Wound’ — the inherited pain of being a woman in a patriarchal culture. And in today’s episode, she’s guiding us through the process of healing this wound, ditching our dysfunctional coping mechanisms, and expanding our idea of what it means to be a mama.
Known as a ‘midwife of the heart’, Bethany Webster is a writer, transformational coach and international speaker. Her work has filled a crucial gap in our understanding of women’s lives by blending cutting-edge research on intergenerational trauma, feminist theory, and psychology to comprehensively define the Mother Wound.
Bethany’s insights in this conversation blew me away. I was nodding along like crazy, as she described so perfectly what it’s like to be a woman in this world and how many damaging beliefs we can absorb without even realising. Whether you are a mama, want to be a mama, have a mama, or just want to understand yourself and the women in your life better, you’ll find veins of gold throughout this podcast, and I can’t wait for you to listen.
In this episode we chat about:
- Her story from being the ‘mother figure’ as a child, to falling pregnant at 19, to healing her Mother Wound and her spiritual awakening to where she is today (05:46)
- What is the Mother Wound? (21:04)
- The truth about why people get defensive (26:18)
- Why we need to stay open in all our relationships and the power of CCC (29:20)
- 7 steps to heal your Mother Wound (and how this process can transform your own life, as well as your relationship with your mother) (35:16)
- What if you already have children — is it too late to heal your Mother Wound? (54:01)
- Why you need to get support on your healing journey (55:28)
- How to apply this work to your Father Wound (56:11)
- What she is working on within herself at the moment (59:22)
- How to care for the inner child and heal Mother Wounds as a couple (62:34)
- Plus so much more!
Why it’s Crucial for Women to Heal the Mother Wound Article
Transforming the Inner Mother: Become the Mother You Always Wanted — To Yourself by Bethany Webster (FREE e-book)
What is the Mother Wound? by Bethany Webster (FREE e-book)
The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans
Follow me on Instagram
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be so grateful if you could take 2 minutes to leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, that way we can inspire even more people together.
This episode is brought to you by BLUblox. Head to www.BLUblox.com now and enter the code MELISSA for 15% off your order.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.