Hands up if you’ve spent more of your life than you care to admit either on a diet, obsessing about food, or beating yourself up over your food choices?
I can *definitely* relate to this, and I know it’s something that so many people resonate with, so I’ve been absolutely hanging out to share this podcast episode with you today: my conversation with the incredible and inspiring Geneen Roth.
Geneen Roth has spent more than three decades studying, teaching, and writing about our compulsions with food. She is the author of ten books, including her newest book, This Messy Magnificent Life, and the New York Times bestseller Women Food and God (if you haven’t read this one yet, run don’t walk to your local bookstore — it’s a game-changer). She’s also appeared on a bunch of television shows including Super Soul Sunday, The Oprah Show, 20/20, The NBC Nightly News, The View, The Today Show, and Good Morning America, and her writing has been featured in publications across the globe.
Geneen was one of the first to realise that compulsive eating and perpetual dieting went a whole lot deeper than just food and weight. Her work is about looking deeper — to the underlying personal and spiritual beliefs that shape and define us — in order to gently transform our relationship with what we eat and how we feel in our own skin. It’s a revolutionary way to reframe these common struggles, and if — like me — you’ve personally experienced these issues, I’m betting you’re going to feel a HUGE sigh of relief listening to her powerful insights and strategies for ending the cycle and finding inner peace.
So if you want to liberate yourself from the tyranny of food obsession, discover healthy ways to process and deal with emotions, and find a way home to your true self, pop in those earbuds, beautiful… this episode’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Her story about how she got to where she is today and the amazing work she does now (06:07)
- How do you really perceive your body? (11:22)
- How to heal your relationship with your body and food (16:24)
- Why it’s so important to develop healthy techniques to self soothe (and her top tips for learning this essential skill) (20:07)
- Her powerful process to master your negative thoughts about how you look and what you eat (25:21)
- The simple eating guidelines that will keep you well and free you from ‘food fear’ (31:40)
- How to upgrade your food beliefs and live them every day (without falling back into old habits) (33:53)
- How to quit dieting and liberate yourself from food obsession forever (36:51)
- Finding more joy in your daily life (41:53)
- Plus so much more!
This Messy Magnificent Life by Geenen Roth
Women Food and God by Geenen Roth
Fat Is A Feminist Issue by Susie Orbach
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
Open Wide by Melissa Ambrosini
Open Wide Video Masterclass
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified practitioner before starting any new health practice.
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I am very honored that you are here and would love to hear your thoughts on the show, so please leave me a comment below (I read every single one). And if you loved this episode, please share it with someone you know will benefit, and on your social channels. You can also leave a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, that way we can inspire more people together.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a soul sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show, please email email@example.com for more details.