What happens to a woman when she becomes a mother?
Amy Taylor-Kabbaz spent more than a decade trying to find an answer to this question. Finally, she heard a word that summed it up perfectly: ‘matrescence’.
We’ve all heard of ‘adolescence’, and we know how transformative (and even tumultuous) this transitional time can be. But not many people have heard of ‘matrescence’: the identity shift that occurs when a woman transitions into life as a mother.
For far too long, our culture has not fully acknowledged the impact that this transition can have. Yet Amy’s work shows that when matrescence is understood properly, it allows women to redefine their own experience of both motherhood and womanhood, and can help them release guilt, cultivate self-compassion, and find genuine inner peace. Put simply, it’s nothing short of revolutionary. So in this beautiful and inspiring episode, Amy is taking us on a soulful, insightful deep-dive into the magic and the miracle that is matrescence…
Amy Taylor-Kabbaz is a Best-Selling Author, Speaker, Journalist, Matrescence Activist and Mama of three. After more than a decade covering breaking news and current affairs for the ABC around the country, her ‘traditional’ career took an unexpected turn when she found herself lost, overwhelmed and diagnosed with a thyroid condition after the birth of her first daughter.
13 years — and two more babies — later, she is now the best-selling Hay House author of Mama Rising, the host of the ‘The Happy Mama Movement’ podcast (with more than 400,000 downloads), runs numerous online programs for mothers all over the world, is an international award-winning coach, expert contributor to media outlets around the globe, and the creator of the #1 itunes meditations for children with more than 12 million downloads ‘Bedtime Explorers’.
So if you want to revolutionise your own understanding of motherhood, learn why it’s not just your child’s brain that is undergoing radical changes, and hear the unvarnished truth about self-care when you’ve got kids (including where the heck to find the time!), then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Why Amy’s initial experience of motherhood sparked an entire career change, and sent her soaring down a path of self-discovery and growth (03:51)
- The incredible social, physical and psychological changes a woman goes through when she becomes a mama (11:34)
- Why the first 7 years of motherhood are absolutely crucial for both mother and baby (and why ‘mum brain’ is real — but it’s not what you think!) (17:00)
- Feeling overwhelmed and exhausted by motherhood? Learn how to rebuild yourself through genuine self-care and self-love (21:45)
- What should a woman do if she feels like she is in a dark place after birth? (32:18)
- The surprising truth about mother’s groups (and how to assemble your own), plus why it’s essential to become your own cheerleader (40:33)
- Why a deeper understanding of matrescence is crucial for mothers, fathers and society at large (50:35)
- Why Amy’s definition of success has undergone a radical change (and why yours might too) (01:00:24)
- Comparisonitis (book)
- Mastering Your Mean Girl (book)
- Amy Taylor-Kabbaz (website)
- Mama Rising by Amy Taylor-Kabbaz (book)
- Amy Taylor-Kabbaz (Instagram)
- Circle of Stones by Judith Duerk (book)
- Abraham Hicks (website)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email [email protected] for more information.