Standard disposable nappies (or diapers, for my US friends) can cost a lot and aren’t good for our mama earth — especially when you consider that the average infant goes through a staggering 8,000 of them by the time they are toilet trained! And even some (but not all) cloth nappies aren’t the best solution: some leave a large carbon footprint, and some use loads of chemicals, pesticides and water to produce. So what is an earth-loving, conscious mama to do when it comes to her baby’s sweet tushie — those are the only two options, right?!
Wrong. Today’s guest, Andrea Olson, is on a mission to teach parents around the world about Elimination Communication (EC) — a gentle, non-coercive way to respond to a baby’s natural hygiene needs from as early as birth. With EC, parents tune in to their babies’ cues, then help them ‘go’ on the toilet, cultivating independence, motor skills, memory, and bodily autonomy. As Andrea points out, it’s the way nature intended… and in this episode, she’s going to explain exactly how to get started!
Andrea Olson is the proud mama of five children and owner of Go Diaper Free and Tiny Undies. When she started Elimination Communication with her first baby, she was frustrated by the lack of information and resources available for parents… so she decided to create her own! Since then, Andrea has made it super-simple for hundreds of thousands of parents worldwide to start EC with their own babies, from as early as birth, and has trained over 300 coaches to host EC communities across the globe.
This episode is eye-opening and surprisingly inspiring — who knew we could make such a big difference to the planet, by making this one simple switch?! So if you want to find out what the deal is with Elimination Communication, how to get massively in tune with your baby’s rhythms and cues, and how to raise your baby with a whole new level of connection and freedom, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- How Andrea raised FIVE babies without using diapers and without potty training (this story is fascinating!) (8:45)
- How Elimination Communication will help you save money, time and the planet — even if you only do it part time (12:49)
- Easy, simple (and life-saving) practices to identify and tune in with our babies’ cues when they need to ‘go’ (18:46)
- How to get started with EC at home (and the common pitfalls to avoid) (23:24)
- Why EC is not exclusive to the mamas, and why daddies should get on board with the process to bond with both their partners and newborns (26:29)
- All you need to know about wipes, how to prevent wipe rash, and the truth about their environmental impact (30:07)
- Why EC is a fully inclusive practice that can fit your family’s unique circumstances (36:20)
- Andrea’s fascinating EC journey and why she put her entrepreneur hat on to serve mothers and families all over the world (39:44)
- Go Diaper Free (website)
- Go Diaper Free (YouTube channel)
- Tiny Undies (website)
- The Tiny Potty Training Book by Andrea Olson (amazon)
- Go Diaper Free by Andrea Olson (amazon)
- Tiny Potty by Andrea Olson(amazon)
- Night Potty by Andrea Olson (amazon)
- The Go Diaper Free Podcast with Andrea Olson (podcast)
- Dyper Wipes (website)
- Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (amazon)
- Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis (amazon)
Thank you so much for listening. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be SO grateful if you could leave me a review on Apple podcasts, that way we can inspire and educate even more people together.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.
P.S. If you’re looking for a high-impact marketing opportunity for your business and are interested in becoming a sponsor for The Melissa Ambrosini Show podcast, please email [email protected] for more information.