The past few weeks have felt like a tipping point in the fight for racial justice and equality. Have you been feeling called to take action? I definitely have, and I know so many of you have too. Even still, it can be hard to know how to move forward and what role each of us can play. In this incredible conversation with Koya Webb, we’re diving deep into what it means to be antiracist, so that we can keep this movement going beyond just posting things on social media, and create genuine, lasting change in our lives and communities.
Koya Webb is an internationally recognized yoga teacher, celebrity holistic health coach, author, speaker, and vegan activist whose core mission is to promote daily self-care, oneness and eco friendly living to combat some of the world’s biggest challenges including mental health, social injustice, and global warming.
Koya is the founder of Get Loved Up, an international lifestyle community and Yoga School, and the Get Loved Up Podcast. She is also the author of Let Your Fears Make You Fierce, which helps readers create daily mindfulness practices, make fear their friend, and use the power of holistic health to heal – all messages she promotes to her devout Instagram following of over one million followers.
Racial injustice is an issue that can seem so overwhelming. But Koya does an unreal job of explaining how each of us has so much more power to create change than we realise, how our fear is not serving us, and how it doesn’t matter if we’re only coming to the game now. Prepare to have your mind blown — and feel your heart triple in size — as you listen to this powerhouse woman and her strategies for creating change.
So if you want to learn how to create TRUE diversity in your communities (both online and offline), how to embrace discomfort in order to grow, and how to accelerate your antiracist journey, then pop in those earbuds… this one’s for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- Koya’s experience growing up as a black woman in America (06:55)
- What being antiracist is truly about (and why posting about it on social media is NOT enough!) (12:31)
- Getting comfortable recognising your white privilege (plus: how to unlearn the broken values we’ve all grown up with) (17:10)
- How to change the narrative and actually impact, enrich and make our communities truly diverse (23:44)
- Why discomfort is crucial for growth (I absolutely LOVE what she has to say here) (27:15)
- Why racism is a public spiritual issue, and how fear is blocking us (31:09)
- How inclusion and oneness lead to diversification (33:09)
- How to break the system of oppression… even if the problem seems overwhelming right now (34:30)
- Why tokenism is actually fake inclusion and how you can authentically help and raise others voices (37:44)
- Why you should always vote, get involved in politics, and choose love over fear (40:37)
- Plus so much more!
Get Loved Up with Koya Webb
Let Your Fears Make You Fierce by Koya Webb
Highest Self Podcast 296: Diversity in the Wellness Space with Koya Webb
Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad
White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
13th | Full Feature
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be so grateful if you could take 2 minutes to leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, that way we can inspire even more people together.
This episode is brought to you by Magnesium Breakthrough by BiOptimizers. For 10% off with the code MELISSA, head to www.magbreakthrough.com/melissa today.