A recent study found that the average person spends more than 10 hours a day in front of a screen. (Ten!) This number is worrying in itself, but when you consider that most screens emit a harmful type of blue light that can mess with your sleep, strain your eyes and disrupt your hormones, it’s worth taking a closer look at the negative effects of our digital life. Enter today’s podcast guest, Andy Mant...
Andy Mant is the founder and CEO of BLUblox, a company specialising in evidence-based advanced light-filtering eyewear. He started the company following a powerful personal experience — after succumbing to health and weight issues that wouldn’t resolve with the traditional dietary approach, Andy stumbled across the role that light plays in our health. By changing his exposure to light, he was able to transform his body and energy levels. And today, Andy is a leading figure in managing light to improve health and wellbeing.
My husband and I have been passionate about blue-blocking eyewear for years, and we’re thrilled that this issue is becoming more mainstream. But there’s a lot of conflicting information out there (and — unfortunately — some dodgy products). That’s one of the reasons I love Andy’s approach so much: his work is backed by hard data, and his lenses match the evidence in the academic literature.
So if you want to hear the truth about what your screentime is doing to your health, learn the simple-yet-powerful hacks to reduce your blue light exposure, and discover how to get the best sleep of your life, then pop in those earbuds and press play — this conversation is for you.
In this episode we chat about:
- His story from poor health to thriving, and why he started BLUblox (05:24)
- What is blue light, and the difference between good and toxic blue light (09:46)
- The common sources of blue light we’re exposed to every day (and what you can do about it)
- How blue light can impact your health, sleep, energy levels, hormones and more
- How to mitigate damage caused by blue light and the hacks you can implement today
- The truth about thyroid issues (28:56)
- Why light needs to be part of your holistic wellness puzzle (34:27)
- What to do if you're a shift worker (37:04)
- What working at the Moulin Rouge did to my health (I’ve never talked about this publicly before) (44:28)
- The #1 book he would put in the school curriculum to transform lives (56:12)
- His powerful morning routine for a productive day (58:26)
- Plus so much more!
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I’m so honored that you’re here and would be so grateful if you could take 2 minutes to leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, that way we can inspire even more people together.
This episode is brought to you by BLUblox. Head to www.BLUblox.com now and enter the code MELISSA for 15% off your order.
P.S. Please seek advice from a qualified holistic practitioner before starting any new health practice.